* Vol. 12 - 22 In the last days men will be lovers of their own selves



In August 2017, I had surgery for cataracts.

The morning after the surgery, about 20 of us who had surgery the previous day reported outside the doctor's office waiting for the door to the building to be unlocked.  We were all given 8:00 am appointment times.

People were just standing (and sitting) there saying nothing  at all.  I was sitting by a woman and I asked her if she had eye operation yesterday.  She replied "Yes," but she seemed to have no interest in talking to me.  Then I asked her if she had any pain and she said "No," ... still no human interest in her.  Then I asked her if she could see through her eye ... she replied "No" ... then she came a little alive and said she could see well through her other eye which had been previously operated on.

I was thinking of this the following day and was reminded of how self interested people are, caring about their own selves.

Then I realized the Bible says this is a characteristic of last days ... I even see this in our own church group so I warned our group and now I warn us again in this exhortation to the church. 


*****


This is a very big danger ...

Paul said in last days perilous times would come ... II Timothy 3 ... For men shall be lovers of their own selves

I was thinking of  how self interested people are, caring about their own selves while ignoring others.

Each of us have ability to help another person.

I once dated a man who said he was a Christian.  I told him about my contractor's children and how sorry I felt for them.  Their mother was a lesbian and ran off with another woman.  I was grieved for the life they were going through as a result.

Howard said, "Why are we talking about his children.  I don't care anything about his children.  I only care about my children."   (I was shocked.)

I believe this is an example of men being lovers of their own selves. (while ignoring all others)

Jesus gave us the following example:

Luke 10:25-37     And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?

HE (Jesus) said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou?

And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.

And he  (Jesus) said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.

But he, willing to justify himself, said unto Jesus, And who is my neighbour?

And Jesus answering said, A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead.

And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side. (ignoring the other man)

And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side.

But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him, And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him. And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gave them to the host, and said unto him, Take care of him; and whatsoever thou spendest more, when I come again, I will repay thee.

Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves?

And he said, He that shewed mercy on him.

Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.


*****


I go in a store and I seem to see everyone and am interested in everyone.  Often I speak to someone ... "Oh, I see you bought a big bag of dog food.  What kind of dog do you have."

I notice people as individuals and often I speak a kind word to that stranger.


*****


Before my eye surgery, I wrote email to our church group telling of the approaching surgery.  One woman responded by saying she had that surgery and when she realized she could see she said, "I can see!  I can see!"

Her email prompted another woman in our group to respond telling that both she and husband had this laser surgery and it was very successful.  It helped me to hear their report.

Three days before the operation, I was instructed to begin putting drops of prescribed medicine in that eye three times a day.  The drops burned so intensely, it made me afraid to take them so I stopped.  I called the doctor's office the next day and another prescription was issued to me which did not burn.

I asked our church members who had the operation if the drops burned their eyes and Cliff even wrote to me telling me the name of the medicine he took and how it did not burn.  I found this helpful.

I Corinthians 10:10  There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

That which we go through on this earth is "common to man".  

When we find something helpful to us, that information or item will be helpful to someone else so I like to tell other people about that which has helped me.  

I care about others, even about strangers.

My cousin was once shocked at me when she learned I cared about strangers as much as I care about blood relatives.  Perhaps it is the following:  The wisdom from God is without partiality.  James 3:17

If I have the opportunity to share something helpful with another person, whether it is spiritual or secular, I am pleased to help that person.

Galatians 6:10   As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith.

Resist that temptation to become self-consumed.  Learn to reach out to others.